|Sources||Enter the Eldrazi, Part 3,|
Ugin was the mastermind of the trio of planeswalkers, including Sorin Markov and Nahiri, that lured the Eldrazi to Zendikar to imprison them within the Eye of Ugin. Over the course of 40 years, the planeswalkers prepared Ugin's plans, creating a massive network of stones known as hedrons, powered by leylines and coded by draconic runes. When the Eldrazi finally arrived on Zendikar, Ugin's part was to combat the Eldrazi with his own colorless magic, the magical key to unlocking the Eye.
Ages after the Eldrazi were sealed, another conflict would find the spirit dragon. The elder dragon Nicol Bolas sought Ugin out on the plane of Tarkir and killed him. During the fight, the other dragon dug deep into Ugin's mind for information about the Eldrazi and their prison. In spite of this mental violation, Ugin was apparently able to withhold certain information about the full extent required to release the Eldrazi.
Breath of Ugin
The Breath of Ugin, also known as the Ghostfire, is an invisible colorless flame. It was used by Ugin against the Eldrazi and, along with the presence of three planeswalkers, it is the key to activating the Eye of Ugin.
Matt Cavotta wrote a short story entitled "How Many Eyes?" inspired by Ghostfire, in which Ugin emerges from a time rift, implying this character's alternate reality origin. It is doubtful this story has any real bearing upon Ugin's true appearance as this was written some time before the Eldrazi plotline had been created.
Quoted or referred to:
- Bitter Revelation
- Eye of Ugin
- Ghostfire Blade
- Perilous Vault
- Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
- Ugin's Nexus
- Witness of the Ages
- Doug Beyer. (March 17, 2010.) "Gods and Monsters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (October 29, 2014.) "The Lithomancer", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (March 29, 2010.) "The Eldrazi Arisen", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes. (August 27, 2014.) "The Madness of Sarkhan", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth et. al.. "Enter the Eldrazi, Part 3", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta. (May 17, 2007.) "How Many Eyes?", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.