|Sources||Enter the Eldrazi, Part 3,|
Ugin is a native to the plane of Tarkir, where his magic, the transmutation of energy into matter, is responsible for the elemental dragon storms that once raged through the plane, giving birth to its dragons. This magic was derived from the study of the energetic patterns of entire planes—their creation, destruction, and renewal—and he has applied these universal principles to creating his own form of magic.
Ugin was the mastermind of the trio of planeswalkers, including Sorin Markov and Nahiri, that lured the Eldrazi to Zendikar to imprison them within the Eye of Ugin. Over the course of 40 years, the planeswalkers prepared Ugin's plans, creating a massive network of stones known as hedrons, powered by leylines and coded by draconic runes. When the Eldrazi finally arrived on Zendikar, Ugin's part was to combat the Eldrazi with his own colorless magic, the magical key to unlocking the Eye.
Thousands of years after the Eldrazi were sealed, Ugin encountered and fought the elder dragon, Nicol Bolas, who had tracked the spirit dragon to his home plane of Tarkir. The two planeswalkers waged a titanic battle, leaving Ugin nearly dead. Bolas dug deep into Ugin's mind for information about the Eldrazi and their prison. His purpose accomplished, Bolas departed, leaving the grievously wounded Ugin to die. However, although physically dead, the dragon's spirit had not departed, and found its way into the mind of the planeswalker Sarkhan Vol. Sarkhan was plagued by Ugin's whispers in his head, 1,280 years after the dragon's death. Sarkhan later discovered that the whispers were Ugin's psychic plea across time and space for help.
Sarkhan Vol was drawn back to his homeplane of Tarkir by the whisperings of Ugin's spirit in his head. While there, he was able to travel back in time 1,280 years using Ugin's Nexus, a spiritual nexus surrounding Ugin's bones. The nexus transported Sarkhan back in time, just before the battle between Ugin and Nicol Bolas.  
Breath of Ugin
The Breath of Ugin, also known as the Ghostfire, is an invisible colorless flame. It was used by Ugin against the Eldrazi and, along with the presence of three planeswalkers, it is the key to activating the Eye of Ugin.
- Matt Cavotta wrote a short story entitled "How Many Eyes?" inspired by Ghostfire, in which Ugin emerges from a time rift, implying this character's alternate reality origin. It is doubtful this story has any real bearing upon Ugin's true appearance as this was written some time before the Eldrazi plotline had been created.
- Doug Beyer believes the fact that he transcended color in his magic is the reason why he became a "spirit" dragon. Despite the fact that there has been much speculation if Ugin is an Elder Dragon, the truth of the matter is that creative has not made a decision regarding it at this time, meaning it is presumptuous to assume he is.
- Crux of Fate
- Fierce Invocation (Ugin's Fate) 
- Formless Nurturing (Ugin's Fate)
- Mastery of the Unseen (Ugin's Fate)
- Reality Shift (Ugin's Fate)
- Soul Summons (Ugin's Fate)
- Tormenting Voice
- Ugin's Construct (Ugin's Fate)
- Wildcall (Ugin's Fate)
Quoted or referred to:
- Bitter Revelation
- Eye of Ugin
- Fearsome Awakening
- Ghostfire Blade
- Perilous Vault
- Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
- Ugin's Nexus
- Witness of the Ages
- Write into Being (Ugin's Fate)
- The Magic Creative Team. (January 7, 2015.) "Planeswalker's Guide to Fate Reforged", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (March 17, 2010.) "Gods and Monsters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (October 29, 2014.) "The Lithomancer", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (March 29, 2010.) "The Eldrazi Arisen", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes. (August 27, 2014.) "The Madness of Sarkhan", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Ken Nagle. (December 29, 2014.) "Designing Your Fate", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (January 28, 2015 .) "Crossroads of Fate", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. ( January 21, 2015 .) "The Reforged Chain", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth et. al.. "Enter the Eldrazi, Part 3", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta. (May 17, 2007.) "How Many Eyes?", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (January 17, 2015.) "Is Ugin an Elder Dragon like Nicol Bolas?", A Voice for Vorthos, Tumblr.
- Blake Rasmussen. (January 20, 2015.) "The Art of Ugin's Fate", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.