Time Spiral block
Sets[edit | edit source]
All of the expansion names in this block are also names of cards (although not from this block).
Themes and keywords[edit | edit source]
The theme of this block is Time; Past, Present and Future. Timeshifted cards are part of that theme. 121 Cards from the past were timeshifted into Time Spiral (i.e. Unstable Mutation). 45 cards were "alternate reality" timeshifted in Planar Chaos (i.e. white's Wrath of God was timeshifted to a black Damnation). 81 cards were "futureshifted" into Future Sight (that have not been printed before but may appear in a future set; e.g. Boldwyr Intimidator was later printed in Morningtide).
- This block introduced the two Artifact subtypes, Fortifications and Contraptions, in addition to the first Tribal card. These were futureshifted in Future Sight.
- Keywords introduced in this block: Split second, Suspend, Vanishing
- Futureshifted keywords: Absorb, Aura Swap, Delve, Fateseal, Fortify, Frenzy, Grandeur, Gravestorm, Poisonous, Transfigure, Typecycling
- Evergreen keywords introduced: Deathtouch, Flash, Lifelink, Reach, Shroud
- Keywords reused from the past: Bloodthirst, Buyback, Convoke, Cycling, Double strike, Dredge, Echo, Flanking, Flashback, Graft, Hellbent, Indestructible, Kicker, Landcycling, Madness, Morph, Rampage, Scry, Shadow, Storm, Transmute (No keywords from the Kamigawa block were reused).
Mega cycles[edit | edit source]
- Ezrith- cycle: A cycle of black cards that cost and destroy a nonblack creature at different points in time. Time Spiral's Premature Burial destroys a creature in the past, Planar Chaos' Cradle to Grave destroys a creature during the same turn and Grave Peril printed in Future Sight will destroy a nonblack creature in the future. All three cards bear flavor text attributed to a character by the name of Ezrith, druid of the Dark Hours.
- Modernized Dominarian legendary lands cycle: A cycle of five legendary lands, several which were previously done in another form to help show the degradation of Dominaria. This cycle consists of Academy Ruins (an homage to Tolarian Academy), Flagstones of Trokair, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (an homage to Urborg.), Kher Keep, and Pendelhaven. This is the first time a specific Legendary Land has been featured in two different cycles.
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (June 17, 2013.) "Modern Tales, Part 1", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (May 9, 2016.) "Because Salt Makes Mistakes Taste Great", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (May 09, 2007.) "Killing Creatures in Past, Present and Future", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.