We can do better
Hey folks. Since the main page is largely in the form of protected templates and is (I assume) the highest-traffic page on the wiki, I want to start a discussion about improving it. I think that a lot of it caters to the editors, rather than end users, and while that might fly on a small or new wiki, I don't think it's appropriate for the site that consistently tops the search results for many Magic related terms. I've uploaded a screengrab here that highlights my concerns, and I'd like feedback on where we all agree, and what, if anything, is sacrosanct to some higher power. A brief list of ideas:
- Create some portal pages! We've got plenty of articles - we're one of the biggest Gamepedia wikis! - but we hardly have any navigation beyond navboxes. We really should have something like Mathematics portal for our big topics. Things like Rules, Story, Developers, Blocks/Sets, Supplemental Products, etc could all receive a portal.
- Remove Template:Main Current, because it's hardly current, or find something that appeals to a larger audience to replace its current contents.
- Bring Template:Main Magic higher on the page, and expand it to cover tournaments and supplemental products.
- Remove bad links from Template:Main Left and push editor-centric links lower.
- Talk about guidelines for the Featured Article and see if we can find more content and faster refreshes. The latest expansion is rarely a bad choice, but especially if we can find a way to minimize the effort of updating that template, we can cycle faster, give the impression of activity, and expose more articles to more eyes and get more work done!
- As you see, there are only a few of us who care. The other admins are not very active, anymore. Maintenance of the one portal is done by me, the last years, but is not my favorite job. That said, I can understand (and agree with) your points. If there is a way to make the front page more user-friendly without making it high maintenance, I am open for changes. --Hunter (talk) 07:24, 30 August 2015 (UTC)