Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. If a player wishes to use a sideboard, it may contain up to fifteen cards.
Beginning in 2016, core sets will be discontinued and blocks will only contain two sets, usually one large and one small. The first set of each block (the fall and spring Sets) will cause a rotation. This will not substantially change how many unique cards are in the Standard card pool at a given time.
These are the sets that are legal in the Standard format as of September 26, 2014:
As of July 30, 2012, there are no banned cards in the current Standard environment.
Previously banned cards in Standard
- See also: Timeline of DCI bans and restrictions.
The following is a list of cards that have been banned at one point during their stay in the Standard environment. Banned cards, by default, are unbanned when the respective set no longer legal in respective standard format (e.g. Darksteel Citadel was banned in Mirrodin-Standard. But not banned when reprinted in Magic 2015).
Popular standard decks
- Black Swarm
- Jaba Sligh
- Mind over Monolith
- Standard Boros Deck Wins
- Standard Doran Rock deck
- Standard Elves deck
- Standard Mana Ramp deck
- Standard Red Deck Wins deck
- Standard Zoo Deck (RGW Aggro)
- Mark Rosewater. (August 06, 2012.) "Setting The Standard", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 05, 2013.) "Twenty Things That Were Going To Kill Magic", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Standard Format Deck Construction, MTG.com
- Mark Rosewater. (August 25, 2014.) "Metamorphosis", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.