|William Jockusch (lead)|
With contributions from
|"Charlie Hasbrino" (lead),|
With contributions from
|Dana Knutson & Ron Spears|
|June 5, 2000|
Themes and mechanics
|Alternate casting costs,|
Mercenaries and Rebels,
Tapped or untapped lands
Keywords and/or ability words
(55 commons, 44 uncommons, 44 rares)
Development code name
|Masques block sets|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
 Set details
Prophecy featured 143 cards (55 commons, 44 uncommons and 44 rares); its expansion symbol is a cluster of three crystals (referencing the fragile rhystic magic of the set).  Although Prophecy was the third expansion, and second small expansion, in the Masques block; its themes and mechanics were not a natural progression from those established in Mercadian Masques and Nemesis, leading to Magic Head Designer Mark Rosewater to state that, in his opinion, Prophecy felt disjointed from the rest of its block and that it is the second-worst designed set in Magic history, comparable to Homelands. 
The cards were sold in 15-card boosters which had artwork from Avatar of Hope, in four preconstructed theme decks and a fat pack. The prerelease card was also Avatar of Hope, in a foil versiont. The set was accompanied by the novel of the same name. This was the first time a set the same name as an older card. That card didn't appear in this set.
 Flavor and storyline
 Tournament impact
Although contributing a few potent cards such as Avatar of Woe, Chimeric Idol, Foil, Mageta the Lion, and Spiketail Hatchling, Prophecy had an insubstantial impact on competitive Magic play and even had a paucity of playable cards in Limited. 
 Themes and mechanics
- Anti-rebel — cards like Brutal Suppression and Rebel Informer. (see notable cards)
- Rhystic magic — Discounted spells and abilities that work properly unless a specified player pays a set amount of mana. 
- A land theme, with several permanents having abilities involving sacrificing lands and several cards that gained bonuses when all of their controller's lands were tapped.
 Creature types
No novel creature types were introduced in this expansion.
The following creature types that are not new to Magic are used in this expansion:
- Berserker (retroactively)
- Frog (retroactively)
- Homunculus (retroactively)
- Horror (retroactively)
- Human (retroactively)
- Juggernaut (retroactively)
- Squid (retroactively)
- Warrior (retroactively)
- Worm (retroactively)
The creature types Ghost and Ship were used in this expansion at the time of printing but were later changed to Spirit and Human, respectively.
|Cycle name||Description and notes||White card(s)||Blue card(s)||Black card(s)||Red card(s)||Green card(s)|
|Avatars||Avatar of Hope||Avatar of Will||Avatar of Woe||Avatar of Fury||Avatar of Might|
Each of these uncommon Auras enchants a land, conferring it with an activated ability involving .
|Flowering Field||Sunken Field||Noxious Field||Barbed Field||Verdant Field|
|Flash Auras||Mageta's Boon||Alexi's Cloak||Greel's Caress||Latulla's Orders||Jolrael's Favor|
Each of these uncommon instant or sorcery spells has an alternate cost that includes discarding a basic land card of the type associated with its color.
Each of these rare legendary Spellshaper creatures cost CC and have an activated ability costing two cards and an amount of mana for a potent effect.
|Mageta the Lion||Alexi, Zephyr Mage||Greel, Mind Raker||Latulla, Keldon Overseer||Jolrael, Empress of Beasts|
Each of these rare instant or sorcery spells has a converted mana cost of 9 and a potent effect.
|Blessed Wind||Denying Wind||Plague Wind||Searing Wind||Vitalizing Wind|
 Vertical cycles
|Cycle name||Description and notes||Common card(s)||Uncommon card(s)||Rare card(s)|
Each of these white Cat creatures has a static ability that prevents all damage that would be dealt to the creature and an activated ability that can be activated by any player that removes, until end of turn, the above static ability.
|Glittering Lynx||Glittering Lion|
Each of these blue Drake creatures with flying have an activated ability costing the sacrifice of the creature to counter a targeted spell unless its controller pays an additional amount of mana.This vertical cycle is unusual in that there is no rare member, and the intermediate Spiketail Drakeling was revealed upon the release of Time Spiral.
|Spiketail Hatchling||Spiketail Drake|
Each of these red Soldier creatures has two static abilities, one of which prevents the creature from attacking if the defending player has an untapped land and another which prevents the creature from blocking if you control an untapped land.
|Branded Brawlers||Veteran Brawlers|
 Matched pairs
Prophecy has no matched pairs.
 Mirrored pairs
Prophecy has two mirrored pairs.
- Mercenary Informer and Rebel Informer are both rare Human Mercenary Rebels/Human Rebel Mercenaries with a mana cost of C, a power/toughness combination summing to 3, a static ability preventing its being targeted by spells or abilities from sources of the other's color, and an activated ability costing or , respectively, to put a targeted nontoken Merecenary or Rebel on the bottom of its owner's library.
- Soul Charmer and Death Charmer are both common 2/2 Rebel and Mercenary creatures, respectively, each with a ability that triggers upon its dealing combat damage to a creature and has an effect unless that creature's controller pays .
 Reprinted cards
Prophecy has no reprinted cards.
 Preconstructed decks
 Theme decks
Prophecy has four theme decks, of which three are bicolored and one is monocolored.
|Theme deck name|
- Brady Dommermuth. (October 31, 2006.) "Ask Wizards", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 29, 2013.) "Third Time's a Charm", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Crystal Keep - Magic - Prophecy
- Wizards of the Coast. (June, 2000.) "New Feature in Prophecy: "Rhystic" Magic", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Ben Bleiweiss. (July 17, 2002.) "Set of Five, Part 2", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- magiccards.info search for reprints in Prophecy