|Last Used:||New Phyrexia|
|Gatherer search for "Poison Counter"|
A poison counter is a counter that, unlike all other counters, is placed on players rather than objects. When a player has ten or more poison counters, that player loses the game. A player with at least one poison counter is considered poisoned.
Poison is intended to be a fundamentally different win condition from life totals because poison counters cannot be removed. Leeches, from Homelands, is the only exception to this rule. That exception is seen as a severe mistake, and the card would never be reprinted, even if it were not on the Reserved List.
History[edit | edit source]
The poison mechanic was introduced on the Legends cards Pit Scorpion and Serpent Generator. The mechanic appeared in sets up until Visions, and was planned as the main theme of Tempest, before it was retired from the game. It was next considered for Unglued 2 prior to that set's cancellation.
Poison appeared in a limited capacity in Future Sight, on a pair of futureshifted "preprint" cards with the keyword poisonous. It finally saw print as a major mechanic in Scars of Mirrodin block, which supported the poison counter-granting infect keyword with proliferate. The second set of that block, Mirrodin Besieged, expanded the concept by defining players as "poisoned" if he or she had one or more poison counters, and including cards that referenced that term.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Players with at least ten poison counters, and Two-Headed Giant teams with at least fifteen poison counters, immediately lose the game.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Poison counters are granted by two keyword abilities.
Older cards[edit | edit source]
Many older cards referencing poison counters use a wording very similar to the poisonous keyword, but trigger on any damage, rather than just combat damage. To avoid functionally changing those cards, none of them were errataed when the poisonous keyword was introduced.
- Crypt Cobra
- Marsh Viper
- Pit Scorpion
- Sabertooth Cobra
- Serpent Generator
- Suq'Ata Assassin
- Swamp Mosquito
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (December 2 2012.) "What is it specifically...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 6 2014.) "You said that infect...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 22 2012.) "Just to nitpick...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 16 2012.) "do you get mixed feelings...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Monty Ashley. (April 20, 2011.) "The Changing Face of Poison", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 24 2014.) "Top 8 and a Half Tales", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 06 2010.) "Something Wicked This Way Comes, Part 1", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (June 27 2005.) "Mad Beetdown!", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (January 2011.) "Mirrodin Besieged mechanics", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Generic:||+1/+1 counter • -1/-1 counter • Charge counter • Poison counter • Loyalty counter|
|Mechanic:||Age counter • Divinity counter • Fade counter • Depletion counter • Level counter • Quest counter • Storage counter • Time counter • Verse counter|
|Other types:||List of all counter types • Obsolete counters|