Pain lands is the term that refers to the lands first printed in Ice Age and Apocalypse that provide two different colors of mana. You take a point of "pain" damage every time you tap them for a color. They can also be tapped for colorless mana without taking damage.
Ice Age/Apocalypse pain lands[edit | edit source]
The lands providing allied colors were printed originally in Ice Age, those providing enemy colors in Apocalypse. The former were reprinted in 5th Edition, 6th Edition, and 7th Edition, the latter in Magic 2015 and Magic Origins. The complete cycle of ten lands were reprinted in 9th Edition and 10th Edition.
Tempest pain lands[edit | edit source]
There is a cycle of five lesser-known pain lands from Tempest. These come into play tapped.
Mirrodin talismans[edit | edit source]
- Talisman of Progress (/)
- Talisman of Dominance (/)
- Talisman of Indulgence (/)
- Talisman of Impulse (/)
- Talisman of Unity (/)
Odyssey pain lands[edit | edit source]
Other pain lands[edit | edit source]
- Ancient Tomb can only be tapped for for two damage.
- City of Brass and Mana Confluence can only be tapped for any color for 1 damage.
- Grand Coliseum and Tarnished Citadel can be tapped for colorless mana, or for 1 and 3 damage respectively for mana of any color.
- Horizon Canopy (/) can't tap for colorless, instead it can be sacrificed to draw a card.
- Murmuring Bosk (/) has the basic land type Forest. It can be tapped for (instead of colorless mana) without taking damage.
[edit | edit source]
- Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar. (August 29, 2005.) "Interlude: Investing in Real Estate", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (June 25, 2015.) "The Origins of Pain", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Basic lands||Plains • Island • Swamp • Mountain • Forest|
|Concepts||Barry's Land • Cave/City|
|No (colors of) mana||Guildhomes • Loci • Urzatron|
|One color of mana||Artifact lands • Depletion lands • Sac lands • Storage lands|
|Two colors of mana|| Battle lands • Check lands • Depletion duals • Dual lands • Filter lands |
Gates • Karoo lands • Pain lands • Sac lands • Scry lands • Shock lands
Slow lands • Storage duals • Tainted lands • Taplands
|Three colors of mana||Triple lands|
|Miscellaneous||Manland • Utility land (Fetch lands)|