|Same as design|
|June 7th, 2013|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
|229 cards |
(101 commons, 60 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares)
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Dragon's Maze||Modern Masters||Magic 2014|
Modern Masters is a booster-based compilation set containing cards which are legal in the Modern format. It was released on June 7, 2013. Several cards have changed rarity, have new art or are printed in the current card frame for the first time.
Modern Masters is a 229 card set consisting of reprints of cards originally printed between Eighth Edition and Alara Reborn.   Thus every card is legal in the Modern format and other formats in which the sets are legal from which the cards originate. It was designed to fill the need of reprinting certain cards to make them more easily available to current or prospective Modern players, without re-introducing those cards into Standard. The set also does not contain any cards which are on the banned list of the Modern format at the time of its design.
Modern Masters is exclusively booster-based, thus no satellite products such as Preconstructed decks are branded with the set. Each booster contains 15 playable cards: 10 commons, 3 uncommons and one rare or mythic rare, and one foil card of any rarity replacing the basic land which would normally be found in a booster as Modern Masters does not contain a run of basic lands. Due to the higher expected average value of the cards contained in a booster and the lower print run, the MSRP of one booster of Modern Masters is set to $6.99 (with the MSRP of a booster of the current draft set being $3.49). Due to the higher MSRP booster displays only contain 24 packs, which is also the number required for a regular draft (three boosters for each of eight players), as the set was designed specifically for draft. A number of cards also change rarity from their original printing as mythic rare wasn't introduced until the Alara block, and/or receive new artwork. 
The set was only be printed in English, but was distributed worldwide.
- Tarmogoyf, at one point one of the most expensive cards in the Modern format and one of the most desired reprints by players, is included in the set as a Mythic rare with new artwork in the current frame (as opposed to the future shifted frame it was originally printed in).
- Dark Confidant, a card designed by Bob Maher and a staple in both Modern and Legacy; originally printed in Ravnica: City of Guilds, printed in Modern Masters as a mythic rare with new art. 
Changes in rarity
Common to Uncommon
- Terashi's Grasp
- Death Rattle
- Executioner's Capsule
- Horobi's Whisper
- Desperate Ritual
- Grinning Ignus
- Tribal Flames
Uncommon to Common
- Bound in Silence
- Otherwordly Journey
- Test of Faith
- Dampen Thought
- Perilous Research
- Petals of Insight
- Street Wraith
- Syphon Life
- Warren Weirding
- Crush Underfoot
- Hammerheim Deadeye
- Thundering Giant
- Hana Kami
- Moldervine Cloak
- Walker of the Grove
Uncommon to Rare
Rare to Uncommon
- Feudkiller's Verdict
- Take Possession
- Auntie's Snitch
- Mad Auntie
- Pardic Dragon
- Masked Admirers
- Reach of Branches
- Worm Harvest
Rare to Mythic
- Yosei, the Morning Star
- Keiga, the Tide Star
- Vendilion Clique
- Dark Confidant
- Kokusho, the Evening Star
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Ryusei, the Falling Star
- Jugan, the Rising Star
- Sword of Fire and Ice
- Sword of Light and Shadow
- Vedalken Shackles
There are two cycles in Modern Masters:
- Spirit Dragons: Five mythic rare legendary Dragon Spirit creatures that all cost six mana, have flying and an ability when the creature is put into a graveyard from play: Yosei, the Morning Star, Keiga, the Tide Star, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Ryusei, the Falling Star, and Jugan, the Rising Star.
- Vivid lands: Five uncommon lands that come into play tapped with two charge counters on them and can be tapped for one mana of a specific color or tapped and a charge counter removed for one mana of any color. The art description of each card in the cycle contained a pretty simple request: to show a standard color-aligned location with a rainbow of color somewhere in the piece — Vivid Meadow, Vivid Creek, Vivid Marsh, Vivid Crag, and Vivid Grove.
|Token / Emblem||Last featured in||Produced by||Notes|
|5/5 white Giant Warrior||Morningtide||Feudkiller's Verdict||New art|
|1/1 blue/black Faerie Rogue with flying||Shadowmoor||Oona, Queen of the Fae|
|1/1 white Kithkin Soldier||Lorwyn||Cloudgoat Ranger|
|1/1 white Soldier||Scars of Mirrodin||Elspeth, Knight Errant|
|1/1 blue Illusion with flying||-||Meloku the Clouded Mirror||Printed for the first time|
|1/1 black Bat with flying||-||Skeletal Vampire||Printed for the first time|
|1/1 black Goblin Rogue||Lorwyn||New art|
|2/4 black Spider with reach||-||Penumbra Spider||Printed for the first time|
|2/2 black Zombie||Magic 2011||Bridge from Below|
|4/4 red Dragon with flying||Shards of Alara||Sarkhan Vol|
|1/1 red Goblin||Return to Ravnica||Empty the Warrens||Art from Tenth Edition|
|4/4 green Elemental||Lorwyn|
|1/1 green Saproling||Return to Ravnica||Thallid, Thallid Germinator and Verdeloth the Ancient||Art from the Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition|
|2/5 green Treefolk Shaman||Morningtide||Reach of the Branches||New art|
|1/1 green Worm||Eventide||Worm Harvest|
|"Artifacts, creatures, enchantments, and lands you control are indestructible."||-||Elspeth, Knight Errant||Printed for the first time|
- Mark Rosewater. (December 9, 2012.) "Did "Modern Masters" have a code name? How about the Commander precons or Planechase and Archenemy?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Rich Hagon and Aaron Forsythe. (October 20, 2012.) "Video Feature: Announcing Modern Masters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (October 22, 2012.) "Announcing Modern Masters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (October 22, 2012.) "Modern Masters Explained", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Erik Lauer. (May 27, 2013.) "Developing Masters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (June 07, 2013.) "New Art in Modern Masters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Bob Maher. (May 20, 2013.) "Dark Confidant", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (October 30, 2007.) "Vivid Land Art", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (May 30, 2013.) "Modern Masters Tokens", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Magic products · Magic: The Gathering sets · Regular Magic sets|
|Special series and sets|
|Duel Decks (list of Duel Decks sets) • From the Vault (list of From the Vault sets) • Premium Deck Series (list of Premium Deck Series decks) • Casual sets: Vanguard, Planechase (2009), Planechase (2012), Archenemy, Commander (2011), Commander's Arsenal, Commander 2013, Conspiracy, Commander 2014|
| • Box sets: Anthologies, Battle Royale, Beatdown, Deckmasters 2001, Deck Builder's Toolkit - series, Duels of the Planeswalkers (decks), Modern Event Deck|
• Reprint sets: Chronicles, Modern Masters, Renaissance
• Un-sets: Unglued, Unhinged
• Commemorative sets: Collectors' Edition, International Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship Decks
• Digital sets: Astral, Sega Dreamcast Game Cards
|Magic Online sets|
|Magic Online Deck Series: Exiler, Boltslinger • Masters Editions: Masters Edition, Masters Edition II, Masters Edition III, Masters Edition IV, Vintage Masters • Other: Commander Theme Decks|