Modern is a constructed format that allows expansion sets and core sets from Eighth Edition forward, save for the Modern ban list. The modern format thus encompasses all cards that have been printed in a set using the modern Card Frame.
Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. If a player wishes to use a sideboard, it must contain exactly fifteen cards.
With the exception of basic land cards, a player's combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card, counted by its English card title equivalent. All cards named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest are basic, as are their snow-covered counterparts — Snow-Covered Plains, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Swamp, Snow-Covered Mountain, and Snow-Covered Forest. 
 Set legality
As of July 28th, 2014, cards from the following sets are permitted in Modern tournaments :
† This includes timeshifted cards in the old time frame
 Banned List
- See also: Timeline of DCI bans and restrictions.
As of February 7th, 2014, the following cards are banned in Modern tournaments:
 Popular archetypes
- Modern Death Cloud Rock deck
- Modern Delver deck
- Modern Infect Combo deck
- Modern Living End deck
- Modern Melira deck
- Modern Mystical Teachings deck
- Modern Pyromancer deck
- Modern Zoo deck
- Pro Tour Philadelphia Format Change
- Tom LaPille. (May 27, 2011.) "A Modern Proposal", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (August 12, 2011.) "Welcome to the Modern World", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (November 04, 2011.) "The Modern Future", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard. (June 21, 2013.) "Developing Modern", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard. (February 21, 2014.) "Modern Living", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Modern Format Deck Construction, MTG.com