|Mark Globus (lead),|
|Dave Guskin (lead)|
With contributions from
|July 19, 2013|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
(101 Commons, 60 Uncommons, 53 Rares, 15 Mythic Rares, 20 Basic Land)
|Magic 2013||Magic 2014||Magic 2015|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Modern Masters (2013)||Magic 2014||From the Vault: Twenty|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Rules changes
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Combo
- 5 Mirrored pairs
- 6 Functional reprints
- 7 Preconstructed decks
- 8 Cards added to Magic 2014
- 9 Cards removed from Magic 2013
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||Ignite your spark||”|
Magic 2014 contains 249 cards (101 Common, 60 Uncommon, 53 Rare, 15 Mythic, 20 Basic Lands), including randomly inserted premium versions of all cards.  The returning mechanic for this Core Set was Slivers.  
Even more than the previous set, Magic 2014 is strongly integrated with its digital counterpart, Duels of the Planeswalkers. In celebration of Magic 's 20th anniversary, the logo of the set has the mythic orange / bronze color instead of the usual yellow or blue.
Design and development teams were officially referred to as "Initial Concept and Game Design" and "Final Game Design and Development" teams, respectively. Although these names had previously been internally in use at Wizards of the Coast, this announcement was the first to use them in an official capacity. 
The set puts the spotlight on Chandra.  This meant a new Planeswalker card aimed at making a splash in Constructed, many Chandra-themed support cards, and flavor throughout the set attached to her persona.
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Magic 2014 was is sold in 16-card booster packs, five Intro packs, one event decks, Booster Battle Packs, a fat pack, the 2014 Deck Builder's Toolkit and a Land Station.  The boosters feature art from Archangel of Thune, Chandra, Pyromaster, Garruk, Caller of Beasts, Syphon Sliver and Fiendslayer Paladin. With each copy of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 a six card Magic 2013 sampler could be obtained; there were five different samplers, one for each platform. The 6-card boosters from gravity feeds at at mass-market retailers seem to have been discontinued. Prerelease Events took place July 13-14, 2013. Game Day took place on August 10-11, 2013. The magic online release was on July 29, 2013. 
Marketing cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: Megantic Sliver 
- Launch promo: Colossal Whale
- Game Day: full-art Hive Stirrings
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art Goblin Diplomats
- Core set league: alternate art 1/1 colorless Sliver creature token
- Buy-a-Box: Ratchet Bomb 
Tokens/Emblems[edit | edit source]
- 1/1 colorless Sliver produced by Hive Stirrings.
- 4/4 Angel with flying produced by Angelic Accord and Devout Invocation..
- 2/2 Cat produced by Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Ajani's Chosen.
- 0/1 Goat produced by Trading Post.
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Liliana's Reaver, Vile Rebirth and Xathrid Necromancer
- 2/2 Dragon produced by Dragon Egg.
- 1/1 Elemental (two versions) produced by Molten Birth and Young Pyromancer.
- 3/3 Beast produced by Primeval Bounty.
- 1/1 Saproling produced by Sporemound.
- 2/2 Wolf produced by Howl of the NIght Pack
- emblem for Garruk, Caller of Beasts.
- emblem for Liliana of the Dark Realms.
Sample decks[edit | edit source]
The Magic 2014 Core Set came with five thirty-card sample decks.
Rules changes[edit | edit source]
- The 'Legend rule' was changed. Legendary permanents of the same name and Planeswalker cards of the same type were now only placed into the graveyard if they are controlled by the same player. For example, if player A controls a Jace Beleren and player B controls Jace, the Mind Sculptor, nothing happens when before both cards would be placed into the graveyard. However, if player A had control of both, that player will choose one of those cards and that card will be placed in the graveyard will the other remains.
- Sideboards in constructed play now could contain up to 15 cards, rather than the rule of either 15 or 0 cards before. Also it is permitted to add/remove cards from the main deck to the sideboard (or vice versa) without swapping them for the same amount of cards, as long as the main deck contains more than 60 and the sideboard less than 15.
- Indestructible became a keyword.
- "*this creature* is unblockable" was changed to "*this creature* can't be blocked".
- The rules for playing additional lands off of effects like Explore were streamlined.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Magic 2014 has six cycles:
- Planeswalkers: There are five mythic rare Planeswalker cards in the set — Ajani, Caller of the Pride, Jace, Memory Adept, Liliana of the Dark Realms, Chandra, Pyromaster and Garruk, Caller of Beasts.
- Planeswalkers creatures: Each Planeswalker has at creature card named after them. — Ajani's Chosen, Jace's Mindseeker, Liliana's Reaver, Chandra's Phoenix, Garruk's Horde
- Wizard Staves: Each of these uncommon artifacts costs and has an ability that allows its controller to gain one life whenever a spell or land of the appropriate color is played. — Staff of the Sun Magus, Staff of the Mind Magus, Staff of the Death Magus, Staff of the Flame Magus and Staff of the Wild Magus.
- Iconic mythics — Archangel of Thune, Windreader Sphinx, Shadowborn Demon, Scourge of Valkas and Kalonian Hydra
- Rare color hate creatures — Fiendslayer Paladin, Tidebinder Mage, Lifebane Zombie, Mindsparker and Witchstalker,
- Rare slivers: Each color gets one rare sliver. — Bonescythe Sliver, Galerider Sliver, Megantic Sliver, Syphon Sliver, Thorncaster Sliver:
Combo[edit | edit source]
Mirrored pairs[edit | edit source]
- Dark Favor and Divine Favor are both common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness and are illustrated by Allen Williams.
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
- Elvish Mystic is a functional reprint of Llanowar Elves from Alpha and Fyndhorn Elves from Ice Age .
Strictly better[edit | edit source]
- Festering Newt is strictly better than Festering Goblin.
- Galerider Sliver is strictly better than Winged Sliver.
- Into the Wilds is strictly better than Rowen.
- Manaweft Sliver is strictly better than Gemhide Sliver.
- Predatory Sliver is strictly better than Muscle Sliver.
- Seacoast Drake is strictly better than Sea Eagle, Storm Crow and Talas Scout.
- Soulmender is strictly better than Shu Farmer.
- Warden of Evos Isle is strictly better than Wind Drake.
Strictly worse[edit | edit source]
- Deathgaze Cockatrice is strictly worse than Vampire Nighthawk.
- Encroaching Wastes is strictly worse than Wasteland and Strip Mine.
- Glimpse the Future is strictly worse than Strategic Planning from Portal Three Kingdoms.
- Lay of the Land is strictly worse than Caravan Vigil from Innistrad.
- Seismic Stomp is strictly worse than Falter from Urza's Saga.
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Intro packs[edit | edit source]
|Intro pack name||Foil rare|
|Psychic Labyrinth||□||■||Jace's Mindseeker|
|Death Reaper||■||■||Liliana's Reaver|
|Fire Surge||■||■||Chandra's Phoenix|
|Bestial Strength||■||■||Garruk's Horde|
Each intro pack includes an appropriate card from the Wizard Stave cycle.
Event deck[edit | edit source]
|Event deck name|
|Rush of the Wild||■||■|
Cards added to Magic 2014[edit | edit source]
Cards removed from Magic 2013[edit | edit source]
- Magic rings of Shandalar: — Ring of Thune, Ring of Evos Isle, Ring of Xathrid, Ring of Valkas, and Ring of Kalonia
- Sedge creatures: — Prized Elephant, Arctic Aven, Harbor Bandit, Crimson Muckwader, and Flinthoof Boar.
- Taplands: — Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag and Sunpetal Grove. This will be the first core set since 4th Edition without a series of dual type lands in it.
References[edit | edit source]
- January 7, 2013. "Announcing the Magic 2014 Core Set", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (July 01, 2013.) "Sliver Pâté", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 05, 2013.) "Twenty Things That Were Going To Kill Magic", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. What prompted the change in departmental titles?", Blogatog, Tumblr. (January 7, 2013.)
- Dave Guskin. (July 01, 2013.) "Every Fire Begins with a Spark", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (June 04, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Product Shots", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (June 05, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Intro Packs & D14 Boosters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (June 25, 2013.) "Magic 2014 — Core Set Promos & Tokens", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (July 02, 2013.) "Buy a Box Promotion", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (May 23, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Core Set Rules Preview", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard. (May 23, 2013.) "Legendary Rule Change", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (July 09, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Intro Pack Decklists", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (July 24, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Event Deck", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Magic: The Gathering 2014 Core Set product information page — Wizards of the Coast
- Trick Jarrett. (March 27, 2013.) "Magic 2014 Trailer", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.