|Mark Globus (lead),|
|Tom LaPille (lead),|
|July 15, 2011|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
|Magic 2011||Magic 2012||Magic 2013|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Commander (2011)||Magic 2012||From the Vault: Legends|
Magic: The Gathering 2012 Core Set (a.k.a Magic 2012) is a Core Set which was released on July 15, 2011. The worldwide Prerelease events took place July 9-10, 2011 , and Launch Parties took place July 15-18, 2011.
 Set details
Magic 2012 contains 249 cards (101 Common, 60 Uncommon, 53 Rare, 15 Mythic, 20 Basic Lands), including randomly inserted premium versions of all cards.  The set saw the return of planeswalkers and the five Titans, had a minor aura theme, intoduced hexproof and had several top-down designed creatures.   The returning mechanic for this Core Set was bloodthirst.  
Magic 2012 was is sold in 16-card and 6-card booster packs, five Intro packs, two event decks and a fat pack. The regular boosters featured art from Grand Abolisher (with white background), Sphinx of Uthuun (with blue background), Rune-Scarred Demon (with black background), Chandra, the Firebrand (with red background) and Garruk, Primal Hunter (with green background).  The 6-card booster featured Jace, Memory Adept. Magic 2012 was also sold in the new "Booster Battle Pack"s, which contain 2 20-card semi-randomized decks, 2 booster packs, a Magic "learn to play" guide and a rules insert.  
A promotional version of Bloodlord of Vaasgoth was given out to players at the Prerelease event. The promotional card for the launch party was Garruk's Horde.  Both cards are new to the set. The Buy-a-Box was Chandra's Phoenix.  The Magic 2012 Game Day was held on August 12-14, 2011. At this event the DCI-Promo-Card was Stormblood Berserker and the Top 8 Finish reward was a full-art foil Dungrove Elder.
Regular boosters of Magic 2012 came with a bonus sixteenth card that was either a "tips & tricks card" or a creature token from Magic 2012.' Unlike the traditional tips & tricks cards, they were printed in landscape format and had no numbering. The back side had an advertisement for Commander (2011), magicthegathering.com, Magic 2012 Intro Packs, Magic Online, swagdog.com, Ultra Pro products or www.wizards.com/locator.
 Tips & Tricks
- booster draft
- casual formats
- colors of expansion symbols,
- decks work best when they're about 40% land and 25-40% creatures
- drawing a card when the library is empty means losing the game,
- gatherer, hexproof
- limited format
- minimum deck size and playing with only 4 of any one card,
- planeswalkers (2 different card wordings).
- 3/3 Beast produced by Garruk, Primal Hunter. 
- 3/3 Flying Bird produced by Roc Egg.
- 1/1 Artifact Pentavite with Flying produced by Pentavus.
- 1/1 Saproling produced by Jade Mage and Druidic Satchel.
- 1/1 Soldier produced by Timely Reinforcements and Throne of Empires.
- 6/6 Wurm produced by Garruk, Primal Hunter.
- 2/2 Zombie produced by Cemetery Reaper, Zombie Infestation, and Grave Titan.
 Sample decks
 Rule change
The Magic 2012 core set introduced the wording shortcut "dies." The word "dies" on a Magic card simply means "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield." The two phrases are interchangeable. Similarly, the word "died" means "was put into a graveyard from the battlefield."
The term "dies" is used only if a creature is moving from the battlefield to a graveyard and only if the effect doesn't care which player's graveyard the creature is put into. (The complete phrase "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" is used if the object is likely to have a different card type.)
Many older cards would be updated in the Oracle card reference to use this new term. This was not a functional change.
 Mechanics and themes
Magic 2012 also introduced a new keyword in Hexproof, which is similar to Shroud except the controller of the permanent can still target it.  This ability used to be colloquially referred to as "Troll Shroud" in reference to Troll Ascetic, one of the first and most popular cards with that mechanic.
The keyword Bloodthirst returned after its initial appearance in Guildpact and a small cameo in Future Sight. Unlike its appearance in Guildpact, Bloodthirst was particularly focused in black on its Vampire tribe.
The set also saw the return of Planeswalkers, though it wasn't restricted to the original Lorwyn 'walkers as Gideon Jura and Sorin Markov had cards in the set. For the first time, three new Planeswalker cards were made for a core set. Like in Magic 2011, these planeswalkers had a number of cards referencing to them.
Magic 2012 has the following cycles:
- Color Hosers: Each of these uncommon cards is specifically designed to be played against its enemy colors — Celestial Purge, Flashfreeze, Deathmark, Combust and Autumn's Veil (reprinted from Magic 2011.)
- Taplands: Each of these rare dual lands comes into play tapped unless you control a land of one of the appropriate types — Glacial Fortress, Drowned Catacomb, Dragonskull Summit, Rootbound Crag and Sunpetal Grove (reprinted from Magic 2011 ).
- Titans: Each of these mythic rare giants is a 6/6 for 4CC and has a powerful ability that triggers whenever it enters the battlefield or attacks — Sun Titan, Frost Titan, Grave Titan, Inferno Titan and Primeval Titan (reprinted from Magic 2011. )
- Mages: 2/1 human wizard creatures for 2 mana with an activated ability involving one mana of a color. Each creature has a flavor text describing a creed of a clan of wizards, with names synonymous to the respective color. — Alabaster Mage, Azure Mage, Onyx Mage, Crimson Mage, Jade Mage
- Planeswalkers: There are five mythic rare Planeswalker cards in the set — Gideon Jura; Jace, Memory Adept; Sorin Markov; Chandra, the Firebrand; and Garruk, Primal Hunter. 
- Planeswalker Rares: Every Planeswalkers gets a Rare card referencing to them and working in conjunction with them. Gideon's Avenger, Jace's Archivist, Sorin's Vengeance, Chandra's Phoenix, and Garruk's Horde.
- Planeswalker Commons: Five commons that reference their respective planeswalkers in the name. — Gideon's Lawkeeper, Jace's Erasure, Sorin's Thirst, Chandra's Outrage, and Garruk's Companion.
- "Lucky charms" artifacts: Each of these uncommon artifacts costs and has an ability that allows its controller to gain one life whenever a spell of the appropriate color is played — Angel's Feather, Demon's Horn, Dragon's Claw, Kraken's Eye and Wurm's Tooth. (Reprinted from Darksteel.)
- "Artifact of Empires": Each of these artifacts have an activated ability that produces an even more powerful effect if you control all 3 of these artifacts — Crown of Empires, Scepter of Empires, and Throne of Empires.
 Mirrored pairs
Magic 2012 has two mirrored pairs.
- Dark Favor and Divine Favor are both common Auras with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness and are illustrated by Allen Williams.
- Greatsword and Kite Shield are both uncommon Artifact - Equipment which have the same Equip cost of and give the equipped creature +3/+0 or +0/+3 power/toughness.
 Functional reprints
- Gideon's Lawkeeper is a functional reprint of Goldmeadow Harrier, save for creature type.
- Skywinder Drake is a functional reprint of Cloud Spirit and Rishadan Airship, save for creature type.
- Drifting Shade is a functional reprint of Dungeon Shade.
- Bonebreaker Giant is a functional reprint of Obsidian Giant and Fomori Nomad.
- Trollhide is a functional reprint of Savage Silhouette.
 Intro Packs
|Intro pack name||Foil rare|
|Sacred Assault||□||■||Aegis Angel|
|Mystical Might||□||■||Sphinx of Uthuun|
|Grab For Power||■||■||Rune-Scarred Demon|
|Blood And Fire||■||■||Flameblast Dragon|
|Entangling Webs||■||■||Arachnus Spinner|
 Event decks
The Event decks are: 
|Event deck name|
 Cards added to Magic 2012
 Cards removed from Magic 2011
- The Leylines cycle consisting of Leyline of Sanctity, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of the Void, Leyline of Punishment and Leyline of Vitality which are rare enchantments that cost plus 2 mana of the appropriate color. Each can start the game in play if it is in a player's opening hand.
- Tim Willoughby. (July 04, 2011.) "M12 Prerelease Primer", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (January 03, 2011.) "Announcing Magic 2012", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Globus. (June 27, 2011.) "The Many Heads of Magic 2012", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (July 25, 2011.) "Time Travel (and Other Perks of Magic Development)", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 27, 2011.) "Putting On a Core Set", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (July 08, 2011.) "Bloodthirst in the Water", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (June 16, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Core Set Boosters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (June 23, 2011.) "Announcing Booster Battle Packs", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (July 27, 2011.) "Inside the Booster Battle Pack", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (June 08, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Promo Cards", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (June 08, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Buy a Box Promotion", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (July 12, 2011.) "The Tokens of Magic 2012", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley, Magic Arcana. (June 13, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Sample Decks", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magicthegathering.com Staff. (May 23, 2011.) "The Mechanics of Magic 2012", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (July 22, 2011.) "On Repeat", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (July 01, 2011.) "A 'Walker' on the Wild Side", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (July 14, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Intro Packs", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (August 01, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Event Decks", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering 2012 Core Set product information page — Wizards of the Coast
- Wizards of the Coast. (June 22, 2011.) "Magic 2012 Core Set Minisite", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.