- This article is about the sanctioned Magic tournament format. For other uses, see Legacy (disambiguation).
Legacy, formerly known as Type 1.5, is an eternal format with a more limited card pool than Vintage. Whereas Vintage only bans "dexterity cards", cards related to ante, Conspiracy-type,or subgame cards, Legacy has a considerable number of cards banned solely due to their power. Fast mana is more difficult to generate thereby causing slightly slower games.
Legacy was created in July 1997 from the little-used format known as Classic-Restricted, which was simply a format where all the cards restricted in Vintage format were banned instead. In the fall of 2004, the decision was made that the format should have a Banned List separate from Vintage. An online poll to name the revamped format was held on Aaron Forsythe's Latest Developments column, with Legacy winning the 25.5% of the vote.
The DCI has more recently begun organizing larger tournaments in the format, which has caused a noticeable increase in the number of players trying Legacy. In North America, the Star City Games Open Series has dramatically increased the amount of Legacy players residing there.
Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance. If a player wishes to use a sideboard, it must contain exactly fifteen cards.
With the exception of basic land cards, a player’s combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card, counted by its English card title equivalent.
Every black and white bordered set of Magic: The Gathering is legal in this format.
Legacy banned list
Formerly banned cards
- See also: Timeline of DCI bans and restrictions.
The following is a list of cards which are currently not banned in the format, but have been banned at one point previously. This list only concerns unbans after September 2004 when the format became independent of the Vintage restricted list. For changes before this date please consult the list of Restricted cards.
- Mind Over Matter (June 2007)
- Replenish (June 2007)
- Dream Halls (September 2009)
- Entomb (September 2009)
- Metalworker (September 2009)
- Grim Monolith (June 2010)
- Illusionary Mask (June 2010)
- Time Spiral (December 2010)
- Land Tax (June 2012)
Major archetypes in Legacy
Other major archetypes include:
- Angel Stax
- TES and ANT
- Aggro Loam
- Cephalid Breakfast
- Death and Taxes
- Eva Green
- Legacy MUC
- Legacy Meathooks deck
- Painter's Servant/Grindstone variants
- Show and Tell variants
- Spiral Tide (a.k.a. High Tide)
- Team America
- Vial Goblins
- Beth Moursund. (May 1, 1997.) DCI Tournament Rules Changes, effective July 1 1997
- Aaron Forsythe. (Friday, November 12, 2004.) "Something Not In Unhinged...", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.