|Sources||see external links|
Description[edit | edit source]
Kozilek is a headless, two-armed monstrosity. A crown of jet-black blades rest upon the nothing that ought to be his head — impossibly flat, impossibly black, like holes in space. A mantle of shining carapace spreads out beneath them. Two swords of obsidian reach back from his forearms. Kozilek has a multitude of eye sprouts across his body.
Kozilek is the Titan of Distortion, a reality-slicing nightmare of relentless insanity. He changes the perception of the reality, making impossible to discern the truth. He twists loyalties, muddies thoughts, transforms emotions, induces despair and panic. Kozilek represents themes of deception, puzzles, lies, mind domination, transformation, and experimentation. Sages call Kozilek the confusion of panic, the trap of enigmas, and the harrower of thought.
Eldrazi of the Kozilek brood lineage have many eyes growing near joints or along body ridges, jagged plates or blades of lustrous black mineral jutting from or floating around their bodies, and animalistic or insectoid anatomies covered in tough carapaces. Kozilek's drones can absorb life just by their presence, but prefer to rend flesh with their onyx-like projections.
While the Eldrazi are genderless, lack apparent biological sex, and evidence no awareness of the concept of gender, the question of their gender, or at least proper pronouns, is a recurring topic among players. Arguments for gendered pronouns rest largely on comparisons to the Zendikari deities they inspired, and on dimorphism between the broods. The issue has been further muddied by inconsistent pronoun use in official sources. In particular, Emrakul has been referenced by male, female, and neuter pronouns. The most recent official sources on the matter are cards from Battle for Zendikar and a blog post by creative director Doug Beyer, which agree on the use of male pronouns for Ulamog and Kozilek and female pronouns for Emrakul.
History[edit | edit source]
After the release of the Emrakul, Ulamog and Kozilek by Nissa Revane, Kozilek's brood was said to have retreated to remote corners of the world, and it was generally believed that he left the plane of Zendikar. However, this assumption appears to have been incorrect. Immediately after Ob Nixilis reignited his spark by draining the hedron network imprisoning Ulamog, Kozilek emerged from deep underground nearby. At that time, he had gained some perfect black shards floating above his head that seem to draw in light itself. They aren't objects, or even shapes — they are holes in space. 
Colorless symbol[edit | edit source]
In-game references[edit | edit source]
- Bonds of Mortality
- Call the Gatewatch
- Fall of the Titans
- Kozilek's Return
- Ruin in their Wake
- Witness the End
- Artisan of Kozilek
- Escaped Null
- Essence Depleter
- Herald of Kozilek
- Inquisition of Kozilek
- Kozilek's Channeler
- Kozilek's Pathfinder
- Kozilek's Predator
- Kozilek's Sentinel
- Kozilek's Shrieker
- Kozilek's Translator
- Maw of Kozilek
- Reaver Drone
- Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
- Tears of Valakut
- Turn Against
- Unknown Shores (Oath of the Gatewatch)
- Warden of Geometries
[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer. (Wednesday, March 17, 2010.) "Gods and Monsters", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (Monday, March 29, 2010.) "The Eldrazi Arisen", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (Know Your Spawn!.) "Know Your Spawn!", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer. (July 21 2014.) "Actually, I have a question about Emrakul...", A Voice for Vorthos, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 24 2015.) "Do Eldrazi have genders???", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Charlotte Sable. (March 26 2013.) "Gender of the Eldrazi", Ask a Magic Judge, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (July 18 2014.) "FYI I believe most vorthoses...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- David Sutcliffe. (September 2 2011.) "Feature: Spectacular Tentacular", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. "Eaters of Worlds", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey. (May 19 2015.) "Modernchantress", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Processor Assault. "Ulamog's processors trail behind him, converting ruined matter into furious energy."
- Vestige of Emrakul. "Emrakul has not been seen in months. Though her brood's numbers have dwindled in her absence, each drone is still a deadly threat."
- Doug Beyer. (September 24 2015.) "So whats the deal the Eldrazi titans having genders now?", A Voice for Vorthos, Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer. (December 2 2015.) "Promises to Keep", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (December 9, 2015.) "The Rise of Kozilek", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (December 31, 2015.) "Do you all have any fear that now having to write (5) as CCCCC will take up too much space at card top and as such may affect the creation of spells and creatures with large mana costs?", Blogatog, Tumblr.