|Alternative name||The Clans|
|Guild leader:|| Borborygmos|
|Guild champion:|| Ulasht|
|Featured sets:|| Guildpact|
|Signet flavor text:|
|"Gruul territorial markings need not be legible. The blood, snot, and muck used to smear them are unmistakably Gruul." — Gruul Signet|
Before and for a short time after the signing of the Guildpact, the Gruul Clans were a wild and noble guild charged with maintaining the wild places on Ravnica. They were supposed to keep civilization in check. Civilization and the other nine guilds, however, overran every wild place on the planet. This changed the Gruul. 
Background[edit | edit source]
As the wilds were torn down, so too were the Gruul's responsibilities taken from them. The Simic claimed jurisdiction over nature's future. The Selesnya preached about nature in order to bring it into its conclave. With their responsibilities taken over by others, they were seen as outside of the Guildpact and the Azorius began to write them out of the law. Outside the law, the Boros were not required to protect them and the Orzhov were free to enslave them.
The Gruul decentralized, lacking any sort of real leadership. Now the guild is nothing but a loose affiliation of clans. They have been exploited and ignored. They take any reason to cause chaos, any reason to destroy a symbol of civilization.
It is common for Gruul clans to raid an area, destroy it, and live there until the resources gleaned from the destructive raid are used up. Once that happens, they move on to a new area, leaving smoldering ruins in their wake.
Borborygmos is the largest and angriest of many large and angry clan leaders. He is not the official guildleader of the Gruul as there is little official about the guild, but when he gives orders, the Gruul listen. As his orders are in line with the rage of the abused guild, they are happy to do so. There is also Ulasht, the Hate Seed. Though it isn't a part of any clan, it is revered by many Gruul as a natural embodiment of pure destruction and mindless rage.
Clans[edit | edit source]
The Burning Tree Clan is the most influential in the guild, and is also the home of Borborygmos. They make sure that everyone in the Clans remembers who has held them down and destroyed their guild and then lets that rage loose on civilization. They are often tattooed with the crest of the guild.
Creatures and races[edit | edit source]
Creatures and races associated with the Gruul include the following:
Notable Gruul[edit | edit source]
Planeswalker[edit | edit source]
Game mechanics[edit | edit source]
The Gruul is one of the three guilds in the second set of the Ravnica block, Guildpact.  It is the combination of the two most aggressive colors, red and green, making a very creature-heavy beatdown specialized guild. The Gruul's special ability is Bloodthirst : when a creature with bloodthirst comes into play, if an opponent was dealt damage that turn, the creature comes into play with a fixed number of +1/+1 counters (exception: Petrified Wood-kin has Bloodthirst X, meaning that it comes into play with counters equal to the total damage dealt to all opponents that turn).
Preconstructed theme Gruul Decks[edit | edit source]
60 cards deck: * Gruul Wilding: from Guildpact (require various creatures token Saprolings 1/1 and Wurm 6/6) * Gruul Goliaths: from Gatecrash * Gruul Siege: from Dragon's Maze
* Rush of the Wild: Event Deck from Magic 2014
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (February 01, 2006.) “Guildpact style guide: Gruul”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. ( January 31, 2006.) “Sketches: Scab-Clan Mauler”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (February 02, 2006.) “The Gruul Troll”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 04, 2013.) “Designing for Gruul”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (February 03, 2006.) “Gruuling Workout”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Matt Cavotta. (February 1, 2006.) “Rage Against the Machine”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 30, 2006.) “Aaaargh!!!”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee. (December 21, 2012.) “Gruul Ingenuity”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Jennifer Clarke Wilkes. (April 2, 2013.) “Ruric Thar”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee. (January 30, 2013.) “The Burying, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee. (March 4, 2013.) “The Burying, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gruul Minisite (Internet Archive snapshot)
- Return to Ravnica - Gruul Clans Minisite (Internet Archive snapshot)