|Type:|| Static (1st ability)|
Triggered (2nd ability)
|Last Used:||Future Sight|
|Reminder Text:||Graft N (This permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, if this permanent has a +1/+1 counter on it, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this permanent onto that creature.)|
|Statistics:|| 13 cards|
54% 38% Land 8%
|Gatherer search for "Graft"|
Graft is a keyword ability, introduced in Dissension expansion, that is associated with the Simic guild, and works by allowing a creature with graft to move a +1/+1 counter from itself onto a creature that just came into play. Thus far, only creatures that are aligned with the Simic guild (green and/or blue) have graft. The only non-creature card with graft is Llanowar Reborn from Future Sight.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- All creatures with graft in Dissension are 0/0 creatures. When the last +1/+1 counter is moved off of it, it will be put into its owner's graveyard as a state-based effect unless some other effect is boosting its toughness.
- Graft's triggered ability triggers each time a creature comes into play, regardless of who controls the new creature. A player may move a +1/+1 counter onto another player's creature this way.
- When a creature comes into play, all graft abilities will trigger. The controllers of those abilities choose, one at a time as those abilities resolve, whether to move a counter. A creature that has just come into play may receive multiple +1/+1 counters this way.
- Graft isn't targeted. The ability can move a counter onto an untargetable creature or a creature with protection from creatures.
- The counter moved off a creature with graft as the graft ability resolves doesn't have to be one of the counters put on the card as a result of the graft ability. It can be any +1/+1 counter on it. No other types of counters may be moved this way.
- If a permanent with graft isn't a creature when a new creature comes into play, the graft ability will still trigger and a +1/+1 counter may still be moved.
- If a creature with graft and another creature come into play simultaneously, the graft ability will trigger. The ability's controller may move a +1/+1 counter onto the other creature.
- Many creatures with graft also have an activated ability that targets a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it. In most cases, that means it can target itself. The target creature may have any number of +1/+1 counters on it. The target creature doesn't need to have graft.
- If the target of such an activated ability loses all its +1/+1 counters before the ability resolves, the ability will be countered for having an illegal target. If the targeted creature loses all its +1/+1 counters after the ability resolves, it won't lose the bonus it was granted by the ability.
Example[edit | edit source]
Cards that contain the graft ability[edit | edit source]
- Aquastrand spider
- Cytoplast Manipulator
- Cytoplast Root-kin
- Cytospawn Shambler
- Helium Squirter
- Llanowar Reborn
- Novijen Sages
- Plaxcaster Frogling
- Simic Basilisk
- Simic Initiate
- Sporeback Troll
- Vigean Graftmage
- Vigean Hydropon
Cards with "graft" in their names, but without the ability[edit | edit source]