Fight is a keyword action introduced in Innistrad which represents a mechanic originally introduced with the Land Arena, though slightly altered. The word appears in a phrase like "[Cardname] and target creature fight." and it means that both creatures deal damage equal to their Power to each other.
- The damage is dealt simultaneously, and it is dealt by the creatures themselves, so abilities like deathtouch, lifelink, and infect will work as normal.
- Damage dealt while fighting is not combat damage, so abilities like first strike won't have any effect.
- Fighting doesn't cause the creatures to become tapped.
- Only creatures can fight.
- No more than two creatures can fight.
- If a creature somehow fights itself, it will deal damage to itself equal to its power twice simultaneously.
A few old cards with the same functionality will receive updated Oracle wording using the new terminology. Cards with similar, but not identical, functionality will not use the word "fight."
Fighting cards before the keyword action
- Arena from a special book promotion and Time Spiral
- Triangle of War from Visions
- Contested Cliffs from Onslaught
- Magus of the Arena from Planar Chaos
- Rivals' Duel from Morningtide