The term "evergreen", as in the context of "an evergreen keyword", refers to keywords or keyword actions that can be used in any set. As the core set has always been the place for new players to start, as of Eighth Edition it was decided to include reminder text with the evergreen creature keywords.
Current evergreen keywords[edit | edit source]
Former evergreen keywords[edit | edit source]
|Keyword||Found in||First used in||First keyworded in||First core set||First core set as a keyword||Last used in||Supplanted
|Cards in core
sets with this
|Cards in all|
sets with this
|Ante||Artifacts, black, red, green||Alpha||Alpha||Alpha||Alpha||Homelands||6||9|
|Fear||Black||Alpha||Onslaught||Alpha||Eighth Edition||Alara Reborn||Intimidate||4||77|
|Shroud||Blue, Green||Legends||Future Sight||Fifth Edition||Tenth Edition||Mirrodin Besieged||Hexproof||8||116|
|Intimidate||Black, Red||Zendikar||Zendikar||Magic 2010||Magic 2010||Commander 2014||Menace||6||31|
|Landwalk|| Blue (Islandwalk)
|Alpha||Alpha||Alpha||Alpha||Khans of Tarkir||44||186|
|Protection||All colors against their enemy, White||Alpha||Alpha||Alpha||Alpha||Magic Origins||25||273|
Evergreen keywords by color[edit | edit source]
- White: Banding, Double Strike, First Strike, Flash, Flying, Lifelink, Plainswalk, Protection, Vigilance, Prowess
- Blue: Flash, Flying, Hexproof, Islandwalk, Protection, Shroud, Prowess, Scry
- Black: Deathtouch, Fear, First Strike, Intimidate, Lifelink, Regeneration, Swampwalk, Menace
- Red: Haste, Double strike, First Strike, Intimidate, Mountainwalk, Trample, Prowess, Menace, Scry
- Green: Deathtouch, Flash, Forestwalk, Haste, Hexproof, Reach, Regeneration, Shroud, Trample, Vigilance
- Colorless: Indestructible, Equip
- All: Enchant, Defender (mainly walls), Protection (against enemy)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (June 18, 2007.) "Keyword Play", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 05, 2013.) "Twenty Things That Were Going To Kill Magic", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Originally the creature type "Wall" carried the special rule that the creature couldn't attack. This was removed sometime around Betrayers of Kamigawa. Walls printed prior to that set have received errata giving them defender.
- By errata as of Ninth Edition. Originally cards that now have the subtype Aura were "local enchantments", with a type including what it could enchant, such as "Enchant Creature" or "Enchant Land".
- Mark Rosewater. (June 8, 2015.) "Evergreen Eggs & Ham", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.