|Aaron Forsythe (lead)|
|Matt Place (lead)|
|May 5, 2006|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
(60 commons, 60 uncommons, 60 rares)
|Ravnica block sets|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds||Guildpact||Dissension|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Dissension contains 180 black-bordered cards (55 rare, 55 uncommon, and 55 commons) — 15 more than normal for a small set — to make room for a reappearance of the of the popular split card mechanic originally from Invasion and Apocalypse.  The prerelease events for this set were held on April 22-23, 2006.   Its expansion symbol is meant to be a variation on the wrought-ironwork shown in the Guildpact symbol, but broken to reflect the disintegration of the Guildpact spell. Like the Guildpact symbol, it has three “branches” to evoke its three guilds.  Guildpact expanded on the Ravnica block themes of multicolor and hybrid, adding the last three new guilds to the environment (The Azorius Senate (white/blue), the Cult of Rakdos (black/red) and the Simic Combine (green/blue).  
Dissension was sold in 15-card boosters, three preconstructed theme decks and a fat pack. The decks and the fat pack contained a Pro Tour Players Card. The booster packs featured artwork from Isperia the Inscrutable, Lyzolda, the Blood Witch and Cytoplast Root-Kin. The prerelease card fittingly was the foil alternate art Avatar of Discord. The release card was Azorius Guildmage. The set was accompanied by the novel of the same name by Cory Herndon.
The streets of Ravnica run red with blood. Guild fights guild and horrifying monsters ravage the city, destroying all who stand in their way. But as Ravnica crumbles, a method emerges from the madness, and it becomes clear that the city's chaos was calculated.  Something must be done. And unfortunately for Kos, being dead doesn't mean you don't have a job to do. The Guildpact's spell is finally broken when he publically arrests Szadek, exposing him and House Dimir to the public.
Mechanics and themes
|Azorius Senate||Grand Arbiter Augustin IV ||Forecast|| |
|Simic Combine||Momir Vig, Simic Visionary||Graft|||
|Cult of Rakdos||Rakdos the Defiler||Hellbent|
- Split cards: there are 10 gold split cards representing some combinations of the other guilds of Ravnica. The allied color guilds are represented in uncommon split cards, whereas the enemy color guilds are represented in rare split cards.  
- Protection: Dissension expanded on the protection ability by introducing "protection from monocolored" and "protection from multicolored".
The following creature types are used in this expansion but also appear in previous sets: Advisor, Archer, Assassin, Avatar, Basilisk, Beast, Berserker, Bird, Cat, Centaur, Cleric, Demon, Devil, Djinn, Dragon, Druid, Elemental, Elf, Faerie, Frog, Gargoyle, Goblin, Golem, Griffin, Horror, Hydra, Imp, Knight, Leviathan, Lizard, Mutant, Ogre, Ooze, Pegasus, Plant, Rat, Rogue, Scout, Shade, Shaman, Snake, Soldier, Sphinx, Spirit, Soldier, Thrull, Troll, Vedalken, Viashino, Warrior, Wizard, Worm, Zombie.
Dissension has three cycles:
- Eidolons: Each of these 2/2 spirits, each with a converted mana cost of , can be sacrificed for a boon and may be returned from the graveyard to your hand whenever you play a multicolored card — Aurora Eidolon, Enigma Eidolon, Entropic Eidolon, Sandstorm Eidolon, and Verdant Eidolon.
- Uncommon split cards: All of these split cards are centered around one color and each side represents an allied-colored pair with that color. Pure/Simple, Trial/Error, Supply/Demand, Rise/Fall, and Hit/Run.
- Rare split cards: All of these split cards are centered around one color and each side represents an enemy-colored pair with that color. Research/Development, Bound/Determined, Odds/Ends, Hide/Seek, and Crime/Punishment 
- Guildpact Spirits: Guardian of the Guildpact and Enemy of the Guildpact are two spirits, one white and one black, with protection from a color quality. The Guardian had protection from monocolored spells and permanents, while the Enemy had protection from multicolored.
- Skeins: Vision Skeins and Delirium Skeins are an instant and sorcery, respectively, which affect the hand size of all players equally. Vision Skeins causes all players to draw two cards, while Delirium Skeins forces all players to discard three. Both are significantly undercosted relative to their targeted equivalents. Both are also mirrored in the artwork being the same scene, but seen from two different angles and in two different moments. Vision Skeins is the "before" moment and Delirium Skeins is the "after" moment.
The following cards have been reprinted from previous sets and included in Dissension.
- Seal of Doom — was last seen in Nemesis.
- Seal of Fire — was last seen in Nemesis.
- Thrive — was last seen in Prophecy. Thrive augmented the graft ability found in this set.
- Avatar of Discord
- Demonfire - used in many formats including legacy until obsoleted by the notably more consistent Conflux card Banefire
- Pride of the Clouds
- Research/Development - Used in some Vintage decks to have access to utility cards in sideboard.
- Simic Sky Swallower - used in Legacy deck Ichorid and Vintage Oath decks due to evasion and shroud.
- Spell Snare - Counterspell commonly used in Legacy and Extended decks
- Transguild Courier - both the first artifact card to have a color, and the first artifact card to have all colors.
- Trygon Predator - anti-artifact/enchantment creature sometimes used in Legacy sideboards.
- Vigean Intuition: This instant mimicked the ability of Wood Sage, an older blue/green card from Tempest.
- Ravnica Dual lands: Blood Crypt, Breeding Pool, and Hallowed Fountain.
- Rakdos Augermage, Terry Soh's invitational card.
In Dissension there were three guilds so there are just three theme decks instead of the standard number; four. The preconstructed theme decks are:
|Theme deck name|
- Aaron Forsythe. (May 08, 2006.) "Dissension Design Documented", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (October 25, 2005.) "Dissension Fact Sheet", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Brian David-Marshall. (April 17, 2006.) "Advice and Dissension: A Prerelease Primer", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth. (October 31, 2006.) "Ask Wizards", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 10, 2006.) "Seeds of Dissension", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (May 01, 2006.) "Design Diary: Dissension", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Rei Nakazawa. (April 10, 2006.) "Dissension in the Ranks", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (May 12, 2006.) "On the Flipside", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (April 14, 2006.) "Clouds in the Forecast", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (May 05, 2006.) "Azorius B.I.G.", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (June 02, 2006.) "Simic Engineering", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 17, 2006.) "Split (Odds &) Ends", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (April 28, 2006.) "The Truth about Split Cards", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 24, 2006.) "In The Cards", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Guilds of Ravnica|