|Last Used:||Magic 2012|
|Reminder Text:||Bloodthirst N. If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this permanent enters the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters on it.|
|Statistics:|| 22 cards|
36% 32% 18%
|Gatherer search for "Bloodthirst"|
Bloodthirst is a keyword ability. It appeared in the Ravnica block as the ability associated with the Gruul guild of the Guildpact set , and later also appeared in Magic 2012.   It works by putting a number of +1/+1 counters on a permanent (so far only creatures) as it enters the battlefield, if an opponent has been dealt damage that turn.
- Bloodthirst checks for any kind of damage, including combat damage.
- Life loss that isn't caused by damage (for example, the life loss caused by Blood Seeker's ability) doesn't cause a creature with bloodthirst to get counters, but damage from a source with infect (a mechanic from the Scars of Mirrodin block) does, even though it doesn't cause loss of life.
- It doesn't matter who controlled the source of the damage dealt to your opponent. If an opponent was dealt damage by a source he or she controlled (such as Manabarbs, for example), creatures with bloodthirst that enter the battlefield under your control later that turn will get +1/+1 counters.
- The creature with bloodthirst enters the battlefield with the +1/+1 counters already on it. For example, a 1/1 creature that enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it will enter as a 3/3 creature, not as a 1/1 creature that then becomes 3/3.
- "Bloodthirst X" doesn't appear on any Magic 2012 cards.
- Aaron Forsythe. (February 03, 2006.) "Gruuling Workout", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 27, 2011.) "Putting On a Core Set", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (July 08, 2011.) "Bloodthirst in the Water", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.