Artifacts are permanents that represent magical items, animated constructs, pieces of equipment, or other objects and devices. Up until the introduction of the colorless, non-artifact Eldrazi cards in the Rise of the Eldrazi set, artifacts were distinct from other card types in that they were the only existing cards that had wholly generic mana costs (meaning they can be cast using any type of mana), excluding certain cards which cost .
Variations[edit | edit source]
Many artifacts are also creatures. They can attack and defend like other creatures and are affected by anything that affects creatures (or artifacts).
Colored artifacts have colored mana costs. The Dissension expansion introduced the concept of colored artifacts with Transguild Courier, which did not not yet require colored mana to cast. The Future Sight expansion's Sarcomite Myr was the first and only artifact card at the time of the set's release to require colored mana for its casting cost. The Shadowmoor expansion's Reaper King was the first artifact card with a hybrid mana cost that contained colored mana symbols, but which enabled players to not have to pay any colored mana to cast the card due to the specifics of the card's hybrid mana cost.
The use of colored artifacts as a game concept was taken even further in Esper shard theme of Shards of Alara, which was the first expansion to contain many artifacts that require specific colors of mana to cast, and the entire Alara block prominently features colored artifacts that require colored mana to cast. Colored artifacts returned in New Phyrexia.
Subtypes[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Equipment cards enter the battlefield just like any other artifact, but may be attached to creatures using their Equip ability. Unlike Auras, however, if an Equipment is attached to a creature and the creature leaves the battlefield, the Equipment remains on the battlefield.
Fortification[edit | edit source]
Clue[edit | edit source]
Contraption[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
Artifact tokens[edit | edit source]
|Clue||Colorless||Artifact - Clue||, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.||
named Stoneforged Blade
|Colorless||Artifact - Equipment|| Indestructible
Equipped creature gets +5/+5 and has double strike.
|Colorless||Artifact||Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.|
named Land Mine
|Colorless||Artifact||, Sacrifice this artifact: This artifact deals 2 damage to target attacking creature without flying.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Zvi Mowshowitz. (February 28, 2005.) “The Top 50 Artifacts of All Time”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (February 28, 2005.) “Just the Artifacts, Ma’am”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Randy Buehler. (October 3, 2003.) “Artifacts and Color”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (April 25, 2006.) “The Gold Artifact”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 25, 2011.) “Phyrexian Powers: International Mana Mystery”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Shawn Main. (June 30, 2014.) “Working with Some of the Best Minds in Gaming”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.