|Parts of a Card|
|Spells, Abilities, and Effects|
Artifacts are permanents that represent magical items, animated constructs, pieces of equipment, or other objects and devices.  Up until the introduction of the colorless, non-artifact Eldrazi cards in the Rise of the Eldrazi set, artifacts were distinct from other card types in that they were the only existing cards that had wholly generic mana costs  (meaning they can be cast using any type of mana), excluding certain cards which cost .
Many artifacts are also creatures. They can attack and defend like other creatures and are affected by anything that affects creatures (or artifacts).
Colored artifacts have colored mana costs. The Dissension expansion introduced the concept of colored artifacts with Transguild Courier, which did not not yet require colored mana to cast. The Future Sight expansion's Sarcomite Myr was the first and only artifact card at the time of the set's release to require colored mana for its casting cost. The Shadowmoor expansion's Reaper King was the first artifact card with a hybrid mana cost that contained colored mana symbols, but which enabled players to not have to pay any colored mana to cast the card due to the specifics of the card's hybrid mana cost.
The use of colored artifacts as a game concept was taken even further in Esper shard theme of Shards of Alara, which was the first expansion to contain many artifacts that require specific colors of mana to cast, and the entire Alara block prominently features colored artifacts that require colored mana to cast. Colored artifacts returned in New Phyrexia. 
Some artifacts are Equipment. Equipment cards enter the battlefield just like any other artifact, but may be attached to creatures using their Equip ability. Unlike Auras, however, if an Equipment is attached to a creature and the creature leaves the battlefield, the Equipment remains on the battlefield.
Fortifications act just like Equipment above, except that fortifications attach to lands.
 Artiact tokens
- Artifact tokens "named Gold" are produced by Gild from Born of the Gods and King Macar, the Gold-Cursed from Journey into Nyx.
- Artifact tokens "named Land Mine" are produced by Goblin Kaboomist from Magic 2015. 
- Zvi Mowshowitz. (February 28, 2005.) "The Top 50 Artifacts of All Time", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (February 28, 2005.) "Just the Artifacts, Ma’am", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Randy Buehler. (October 03, 2003.) "Artifacts and Color", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 25, 2011.) "Phyrexian Powers: International Mana Mystery", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Shawn Main. (June 30, 2014.) "Working with Some of the Best Minds in Gaming", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Artifact||Equipment, Fortification, Contraption|
|Enchantment||Aura, Curse, Shrine|