|Tom LaPille (lead)|
|June 18, 2010|
Themes and mechanics
|Scheme Cards, “Set in Motion”, “Abandon”|
Keywords and/or ability words
|Four 60+20-card theme decks|
|Non-block, non-series set|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Duels of the Planeswalkers||Archenemy||Magic 2011|
Archenemy is a casual multiplayer format for Magic: the Gathering emphasising on a “one vs. many” aspect. It is played with the Archenemy set of four “game packs”, each consisting of 20 oversized cards and a 60-card deck. This set was released on June 18, 2010. It was sold in English only, but the rules came in additional languages. Each pack's MSRP is $19.99.
Description[edit | edit source]
The lone player, called the “Archenemy”, plays against a team of opponents with the use of a second deck consisting of over-sized cards of the card type scheme. The schemes basically represent a free spell per turn and help to balance out the odds for the Archenemy. The Archenemy's opponents work cooperatively against the lone player and, much like partners in Two-Headed Giant, take their turn simultaneously. The Archenemy begins the game with 40 life, while each other player begins the game with only 20. The Archenemy wins if all of his or her opponents are eliminated from the game. All of the opposing players, even those who have already lost the game, win if the Archenemy is eliminated.
Scheme cards are not permanents. The Archenemy sets in motion the top card of his or her scheme deck at the beginning of the first main phase of his or her turn, meaning to turn it face up. Schemes may or may not have the supertype Ongoing. A non-ongoing scheme has a triggered ability that reads “When you set this scheme in motion, [effect].” After resolving this ability, it is turned face down and put on the bottom of the scheme deck. An ongoing scheme has abilities, and stays face up and in effect, rather like an enchantment; but it also has a triggered ability that forces the Archenemy to abandon it, meaning to turn it face down and put it on the bottom of the scheme deck.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
Archenemy has four preconstructed decks.
|Theme deck name||Colors included|
|Assemble the Doomsday Machine||W||U||B|
|Trample Civilization Underfoot||W||G|
|Scorch the World with Dragonfire||R||G|
|Bring About the Undead Apocalypse||B||R|
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Promo #1 - DCI 54 Plots that Span Centuries (Release/Launch Party card)
- Promo #2 - DCI 55 Perhaps You've Met My Cohort
- Promo #3 - DCI 56 Your Inescapable Doom
- Promo #4 - DCI 57 Drench the Soil in their Blood
- Promo #5 - DCI 58 Imprison this Insolent Wretch
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (January 12, 2010.) "Announcing Archenemy", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- magicthegathering.com staff. (May 17, 2010.) "Archenemy Rules Revealed", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (Tuesday, April 20, 2010.) "Archenemy Decks", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (August 19, 2010.) "Plots That Span Centuries", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (June 14, 2010.) "From the Heart", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Dave Guskin. (June 14, 2010.) "No, Mr. Beleren, I Expect You to Die", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (June 18, 2010.) "Villainy 101", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (July 23, 2010.) "Architecting Archenemy", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (June 16, 2010.) "Fear No Good", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.