|Tom LaPille (lead) |
|June 18, 2010|
Themes and mechanics
|Scheme Cards, "Set in Motion", "Abandon"|
Keywords and/or ability words
|Four 60+20-card theme decks|
|Non-block, non-series set|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Deck Builder's Toolkit||Archenemy||Magic 2011|
Archenemy is a set of four "game packs", each consisting of 20 oversized cards and a 60-card deck. It was released on June 18, 2010. It was sold in English only, but the rules came in additional languages. The sets retail for $19.99.
Archenemy is a multiplayer product emphasising on a "one vs. many" aspect.
In short: The Archenemy begins with 40 life, all other players begin with 20 life (Comprehensive rulebook, rule 904.5). The archenemy takes their turn, and all of the opposing players take their turn(s) simultaneously, such as in the Two-Headed Giant game type. The goal is for the Archenemy to defeat all of the opposing players, or for the opposing players to defeat the Archenemy. If one of the many opposing players defeats the Archenemy then it is a victory for all of the opposing players. Alternatively, players may choose a variant where the Archenemy begins with 20 life points for each other player.
The archenemy has access to a new card type, scheme cards. Scheme cards are played at the beginning of the Archenemy's turn, he/she draws a Scheme card from the stack of Scheme cards. These cards are not permanents and when the effects are resolved, are placed on the bottom of the Scheme card deck. The act of putting Scheme cards on the bottom of a scheme deck is called Abandoning
Archenemy may be played with multiple Scheme decks, with each player controlling a stack. In this variant, the game more closely resembles Free-For-All or possibly Planechase.
 Theme decks
|Theme deck name|
|Assemble the Doomsday Machine||□||■||■|
|Trample Civilization Underfoot||□||■|
|Scorch the World with Dragonfire||■||■|
|Bring About the Undead Apocalypse||■||■|
- Archenemy product information page — Wizards of the Coast
- Magic Arcana. (January 12, 2010.) "Announcing Archenemy", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- magicthegathering.com staff. (May 17, 2010.) "Archenemy Rules Revealed", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (June 01, 2010.) "Archenemy: Assemble the Doomsday Machine", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 14, 2010.) "From the Heart", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Dave Guskin. (June 14, 2010.) "No, Mr. Beleren, I Expect You to Die", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (June 18, 2010.) "Villainy 101", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille. (July 23, 2010.) "Architecting Archenemy", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
|Magic products · Magic: The Gathering sets · Regular Magic sets|
|Special series and sets|
|Duel Decks (list of Duel Decks sets) • From the Vault (list of From the Vault sets) • Premium Deck Series (list of Premium Deck Series decks) • Casual sets: Vanguard, Planechase (2009), Planechase (2012), Archenemy, Commander (2011), Commander's Arsenal, Commander 2013, Conspiracy, Commander 2014|
| • Box sets: Anthologies, Battle Royale, Beatdown, Deckmasters 2001, Deck Builder's Toolkit - series, Duels of the Planeswalkers (decks), Modern Event Deck|
• Reprint sets: Chronicles, Modern Masters, Renaissance
• Un-sets: Unglued, Unhinged
• Commemorative sets: Collectors' Edition, International Edition, Pro Tour Collector Set, World Championship Decks
• Digital sets: Astral, Sega Dreamcast Game Cards
|Magic Online sets|
|Magic Online Deck Series: Exiler, Boltslinger • Masters Editions: Masters Edition, Masters Edition II, Masters Edition III, Masters Edition IV, Vintage Masters • Other: Commander Theme Decks|